A woman's reasons for choosing breast augmentation are highly personal.
Breast augmentation might help you:
- Enhance your breast appearance if you feel your breasts are too small or you're concerned that one breast is smaller than the other
- Adjust for a reduction in the size of your breasts after pregnancy
- Reconstruct your breast after having breast surgery for cancer or other conditions
- Improve your self-image or self-confidence
Discuss your goals with your surgeon so that you can develop a realistic expectation of what breast augmentation can do for you.
July 16, 2015
- Neligan PC, et al. Breast augmentation. In: Core Procedures in Plastic Surgery. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast augmentation. American Society of Plastic Surgeons. http://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/breast-augmentation.html. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma (ALCL). U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm239995.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast implants: Local complications and adverse outcomes. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/ucm259296.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Breast implant surgery. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/ProductsandMedicalProcedures/ImplantsandProsthetics/BreastImplants/ucm064176.htm. Accessed May 18, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2015.
- Pruthi S (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 21, 2015.