Expertise and experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in heart and blood vessel surgery (cardiovascular surgeons) have expertise evaluating and treating all aortic conditions. Surgeons have extensive experience performing complex procedures such as aortic root surgery, including aortic root replacement and valve-sparing aortic root repair.
Mayo surgeons perform more than 100 aortic root surgeries each year.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic cardiovascular surgeons work as a multidisciplinary team with doctors trained in heart diseases (cardiologists) and others to provide you with coordinated care.
- Diagnostic tools. Mayo Clinic doctors use detailed imaging tests to diagnose aortic aneurysms, test for tears in the inner layer of the aortic wall (aortic dissection) and determine the most appropriate treatment for your condition.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors conduct research in potential techniques for aortic root surgery and other cardiovascular surgeries and conduct clinical trials.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for heart and heart surgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for heart and heart surgery.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Dec. 06, 2014
- What is Marfan syndrome? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mar/. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- Management of Marfan syndrome and related disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 15, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 24, 2014.
- Stamou SC, et al. Aortic root surgery in the United States: A report from the Society of Thoracic Surgeons database. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. In press. Accessed Aug. 18, 2014.
- Treasure T, et al. Surgical management of aortic root disease in Marfan syndrome and other congenital disorders associated with aortic root aneurysms. Heart. 2014;100:1571.
- Shimizu H, et al. Valve-sparing aortic root replacement. Annals of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2011;17:330.