White tongue is generally harmless, and may be helped by brushing your tongue with a tongue scraper and drinking plenty of water.
Make an appointment with your doctor or dentist if:
Jan. 12, 2012
- You're concerned about changes in your tongue
- Your tongue hurts
- Your white tongue persists for longer than two weeks
- Reamy BV, et al. Common tongue conditions in primary care. American Family Physician. 2010;81:627.
- Bhattacharyya I, et al. White lesions. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2011;44:109.
- Lerman MA, et al. Generalized white appearance of the oral mucosa. The Journal of the American Dental Association. 2010;141:867.
- Evaluation of the dental patient. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/approach_to_the_dental_patient/evaluation_of_the_dental_patient.html. Accessed Oct. 12, 2011.