A knee brace may reduce osteoarthritis pain in your knee by shifting the force of your weight off the damaged part of your knee when you walk.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Osgood-Schlatter disease can cause pain, swelling and tenderness below the kneecap. This common condition often affects young athletes involved in running, jumping and bending activities.
Less common than an ACL knee injury, a torn posterior cruciate ligament can be painful and sideline you for months. Find out more.
Twisting the knee can cause a common knee injury known as a torn meniscus. Treatment sometimes includes surgery.
July 12, 2013
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1807/0.html. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Anderson BC. Patient information: Knee pain (Beyond the basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Hergenroeder AC. Causes of chronic knee pain in the young athlete. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Anderson RJ, et al. Evaluation of the active adult patient with knee pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed April 19, 2013.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 28, 2013.