Call your doctor for a same-day appointment if:
- You have constant, dull, one-sided pain in your back or side
- You have fever, body aches and fatigue
- You've had a recent urinary tract infection
Seek emergency care if you develop sudden, severe kidney pain, with or without blood in your urine.
March 30, 2017
- Kidney pain. American Kidney Fund. http://www.kidneyfund.org/kidney-disease/kidney-problems/kidney-pain.html. Accessed Jan. 14, 2017.
- Steinman TI, et al. Pain syndromes in autosomal dominate polycystic kidney disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 14, 2017.
- Kidney infection (pyelonephritis). National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/kidney-disease/kidney-infection-pyelonephritis. Accessed Jan. 14, 2017.
- Douglas, G, et al. The renal system. In: Macleod's Clinical Examination. 13th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 14, 2017.