When to see a doctor

By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your doctor may check to see if you have a high uric acid level if you have had an attack of gout, although you can have a gout attack even if your uric acid level is normal. You may have no symptoms with a high uric acid level; it's often found when your doctor tests for another condition.

If you're concerned that one of your medications may be causing your high uric acid level, talk to your doctor. In the meantime, continue taking your medications unless your doctor tells you otherwise.

Dec. 14, 2012