When to see a doctorBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Eye twitching usually goes away on its own within a few days or weeks with rest, stress relief and decreased caffeine.
Schedule an appointment with your doctor if:
Jan. 21, 2016
- The twitching doesn't go away within a few weeks
- Your eyelid completely closes with each twitch or you have difficulty opening the eye
- Twitching happens in other parts of your face or body as well
- Your eye is red, swollen or has discharge
- Your eyelids are drooping
- AskMayoExpert. Periocular spasm. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Yanoff M, et al., eds. Essential blepharospasm. In: Ophthalmology. 4th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Hay WW, et al. Eye. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Pediatrics. 22nd ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2014. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Coscarelli JM. Essential blepharospasm. Seminars in Ophthalmology. 2010;25:104.
- Review and update of involuntary facial movement disorders presenting in an ophthalmological setting. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2011;56:54.
- Comella C. Classification and evaluation of dystonia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Defazio G, et al. Development and validation of a clinical guideline for diagnosing blepharospasm. Neurology. 2013;81:236.
- Gerstenblith AT, et al., eds. Eyelid. In: The Wills Eye Manual: Office and Emergency Room Diagnosis and Treatment of Eye Disease. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Wolters Kluwer Health Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012. http://ovidsp.ovid.com/site/index.jsp. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Goldman L, et al., eds. Multiple sclerosis and demyelinating conditions of the central nervous system. In: Goldman-Cecil Medicine. 25th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Eyelid spasm and twitching causes. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/eyelid-spasm-twitch-cause.cfm. Accessed Nov. 24, 2015.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 1, 2015.