Dry orgasm occurs when a man reaches sexual climax but doesn't release (ejaculate) semen from the penis — or releases very little semen. Semen is the thick, white fluid that carries sperm.
Dry orgasm usually isn't harmful, but it can interfere with a man's ability to father a child. Over time, many men say a dry orgasm feels normal.
In most cases, dry orgasm isn't harmful. But talk to your doctor about it to be sure your condition isn't caused by an underlying medical condition that needs attention. If you have dry orgasms and are attempting to father a child, you might need treatment to get your partner pregnant.
Jan. 22, 2015
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Melmed S, et al. Williams Textbook of Endocrinology. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 6, 2014.
- Martin KA. Evaluation of male sexual dysfunction. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Swerdloff RS, et al. Causes of male infertility. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Ohl DA, et al. Anejaculation and retrograde ejaculation. Urologic Clinics of North America. 2008;35:211.
- Barnas JL, et al. The prevalence and nature of orgasmic dysfunction after radical prostatectomy. BJU International. 2004;94:603.
- Hoffman RM, et al. Microwave thermotherapy for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004135.pub3/abstract. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Update on AUA guideline on the management of benign prostatic hyperplasia. Journal of Urology. 2011;185:1793.
- Tanagho EA, et al. Smith's General Urology. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=21. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Prostate enlargement: Benign prostatic hyperplasia. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/prostateenlargement/index.aspx. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- How cancer treatment can affect ejaculation. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/treatment/treatmentsandsideeffects/physicalsideeffects/sexualsideeffectsinmen/sexualityfortheman/sexuality-for-men-with-cancer-ejaculation-and-treatment. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Gravas S, et al. Critical review of lasers in benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BJU International. 2011;107:1030.