Asbestosis is a lung disease resulting from prolonged exposure to asbestos, a product once commonly used in the building and manufacturing industries.
Asthma attack: Find out what the symptoms are and how to treat an asthma attack.
Bronchitis often develops after a cold. Learn how to prevent this potentially serious lung infection.
Chronic sinusitis involves long-term inflammation or infection of the sinus cavities. Medications can help, and in rare cases surgery can treat this painful condition.
Churg-Strauss syndrome is a rare disorder marked by blood vessel inflammation that affects organs throughout the body. Asthma is the most common sign.
Dust mite allergy, an immune system reaction to inhaled dust mite "debris," causes hay fever symptoms and may cause allergy-induced asthma.
Enlarged heart is often a sign of a serious heart condition. Find out causes and treatments for enlarged heart.
Reduce your risk of esophageal cancer by eating more fruits and vegetables.
Goiter is an enlargement of the thyroid gland due to a variety of causes. The condition can cause difficulty swallowing or breathing.
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is initiated by a rodent-carried virus that infects the lung tissues, bringing on flu-like symptoms, respiratory problems and even death.
Heart disease, usually thought of as blockages in the arteries that can cause a heart attack, can describe any medical condition affecting your heart.
Legionnaires' disease, a severe form of pneumonia, is caused by bacteria that can live in water in air conditioning systems, showers and spas.
Pleurisy is the painful inflammation of the membranes that surround your lungs. The cause can be one of a number of underlying conditions.
Pneumonitis is a general term for lung inflammation. It can cause difficulty breathing, often accompanied by a cough.
Pulmonary fibrosis results from scar tissue that forms in your lungs. This affects your ability to breathe and obtain enough oxygen.
Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) has sickened people worldwide. Although effective treatments aren't yet available, common-sense precautions may help you avoid infection.
Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a disorder of the skin and mucous membranes. Often, this severe adverse reaction is caused by medication or an infection.
April 26, 2016
- Cough. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cough/. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Bope ET, et al. The respiratory system. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Silvestri RC, et al. Evaluation of subacute and chronic cough in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2016.
- Benich JJ, et al. Evaluation of the patient with chronic cough. American Family Physician. 2011;84:887.
- Schmitt BD. Pediatric Telephone Protocols. 15th ed. Elk Grove Village, Ill.: American Academy of Pediatrics; 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Chronic cough. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- An important FDA reminder for parents: Do not give infants cough and cold products designed for older children. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/SpecialFeatures/ucm263948.htm. Accessed March 8, 2016.
- Walker RW, et al. Self-reported dysphagia and its correlates within a prevalent population of people with Parkinson's disease. Dysphagia. 2011;26:92.