Most breast rashes have the same causes as rashes occurring elsewhere on the body. Some rashes occur only on the breast.
Causes of rash that occur only on the breast may include:
- Breast abscess
- Inflammatory breast cancer
- Mammary duct ectasia
- Nipple dermatitis
- Nipple piercings or other body art, such as tattooing
- Paget's disease of the breast
- Radiation dermatitis
General causes of rash that can affect any part of the body, including the breast, include:
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Candidiasis (especially under the breasts)
- Cellulitis (a skin infection)
- Hives and angioedema
- Seborrheic dermatitis
April 11, 2014
Causes shown here are commonly associated with this symptom. Work with your doctor or other health care professional for an accurate diagnosis.
- AskMayoExpert. Paget disease of the breast. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Wong RKS, et al. Clinical practice guidelines for the prevention and treatment of acute and late radiation reactions from the MASCC skin toxicity study group. Support Care Cancer. 2013;21:2933.
- Hemati S, et al. Topical silver sulfadiazine for the prevention of acute dermatitis during irradiation for breast cancer. Support Care Cancer. 2012;20:1613.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.
- Adams JG. Emergency Medicine. 2nd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.
- Goljan EF. Rapid Review Pathology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.
- Banikarim C, et al. Mastitis and breast abscess in infants, children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 12, 2012.
- Rashes. U.S. National Library of Medicine. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/rashes.html. Accessed Dec. 12, 2013.