If you've been told that you have a brain lesion, speculating on a cause may prove fruitless until you and your doctor have more information. The brain lesion could be left over from an old, resolved condition or a sign of some harmless (benign) condition. Or, it could represent something more serious.
Sometimes, despite extensive testing, the cause of brain lesions remains unknown. Among the known possible causes of brain lesions are:
- Brain aneurysm
- Brain AVM (arteriovenous malformation)
- Brain tumor
- Multiple sclerosis
- Traumatic brain injury
Oct. 25, 2011
Causes shown here are commonly associated with this symptom. Work with your doctor or other health care professional for an accurate diagnosis.
- Morris Z, et al. Incidental findings on brain magnetic resonance imaging: Systematic review and meta-analysis. British Medical Journal. 2009;339:b3016.
- Papanikolaou V, et al. Incidental findings on MRI scans of patients presenting with audiovestibular symptoms. BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders. 2010;10:6.
- NINDS acute disseminated encephalitis information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/acute_encephalomyelitis/acute_encephalomyelitis.htm. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Ropper AH, et al. Disturbances of cerebrospinal fluid and its circulation, including hydrocephalus, pseudotumor cerebri, and low-pressure syndromes. In: Ropper AH, et al. Adams & Victor's Principles of Neurology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=3635132&searchStr=hydrocephalus#3635132. Accessed Aug. 15, 2011.
- Waxman SG. The relationship between neuroanatomy and neurology. In: Waxman SG. Clinical Neuroanatomy. 26th ed. New York, NY.:The McGraw-Hill Companies. 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aid=5271560. Accessed Aug. 13, 2011.
- Wong ET, et al. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of brain tumors. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 13, 2011.
- Oliveira-Filho J, et al. Neuroimaging of acute ischemic stroke. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 13, 2011.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2011.