When to see a doctor

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If you're premenopausal and you have infrequent episodes of vaginal bleeding after sex — and you've had normal results on routine Pap tests and sexually transmitted infection screenings — you don't need to see your doctor to be evaluated. If you have vaginal bleeding that bothers or worries you, make an appointment with your doctor to get it checked out. If you're at risk or feel you have been exposed to a sexually transmitted infection, see your doctor for an evaluation.

If you're postmenopausal, vaginal bleeding at any time must be evaluated. Consult with your doctor to be sure that the cause of your vaginal bleeding isn't something serious.

Nov. 26, 2014