Patient medical records and imaging
Documentation of the medical care patients receive from Mayo providers is retained by Mayo Clinic in our secure electronic medical record system. These records are kept in strict confidence, ensuring the privacy, security and confidentiality of patient information, and are not released without the written consent of the patient, except as required by law.
Mayo Clinic patients can access their medical information in multiple ways.
Free secure online record access via Patient Online Services
Create an online account through Mayo Clinic Patient Online Services for free record access. Many patients prefer this option due to cost and convenience.
- Go to www.MayoClinic.org and click "Log in to Patient Account" in the upper right corner and request a new account.
- Complete the one-time account creation process online.
Creating your own account gives you access 24/7 to a select set of medical records (for example, your lab results and radiology reports, clinical notes, medication list, allergy list and vaccinations) as well as your patient itinerary (schedule). You may print your own copies of this information whenever you choose at no cost.
Patent Online Services is available both via mobile app (iPhone, Android) and web browser.
Request copies of your medical records (fees may apply)
This includes radiology reports, but excludes radiology images.
Request that copies of your medical information be sent to you using an appropriate method below.
Mail in your request.
Fax your request.
- Fax request to Mayo Clinic Health Information Management Services at 480-301-9100.
- Questions related to release of records may be directed to Mayo Clinic Health Information Management Services at 480-301-4211.
Request copies of your radiology images:
- X-rays, ultrasounds, MRI, CT, nuclear medicine, and other images are available on CD/DVD.
- Mammography images are available in either electronic or film formats.
- Radiology images and mammogram films must be requested through the Radiology Department, by completing the online authorization form (PDF) and faxing it to: 480-301-8037.
- Any questions related to release of images may be directed to Radiology Data Management at 480-301-4211.
Charges may apply for medical record copies or CD-DVD radiology images released.
Our usual procedure is to mail any requested records. You also may pick them up yourself at either:
Charges excluding postage still apply for records picked up in person. Please allow three to five business days to process your request.