The South Beach Diet says that you'll lose 8 to 13 pounds (3.6 to 5..9 kilograms) in the two-week period that you're in phase 1. It also says that most of the weight will be shed from your midsection. In phase 2, it says that you'll likely lose 1 to 2 pounds (0.5 to 1 kilogram) a week.
Most people can lose weight on almost any diet, especially in the short term. Most important to weight loss is how many calories you take in and how many calories you burn off. A weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds a week is the typical recommendation. Although it may seem slow, it's a pace that's more likely to help you maintain your weight loss permanently.
Losing a large amount of weight rapidly could indicate that you're losing water weight or lean tissue, rather than fat. In some situations, however, faster weight loss can be safe if it's done in a healthy way. For example, some diets include an initiation phase to help you jump-start your weight loss, including the South Beach Diet and the Mayo Clinic Diet.
The South Beach Diet, while mainly directed at weight loss, may promote certain healthy changes. Research shows that following a long-term eating plan that's rich in healthy carbohydrates and dietary fats can improve your health. For example, lower carbohydrate diets with healthy fats may improve your blood cholesterol levels.
On the other hand, no long-term, randomized controlled clinical trials have measured the health outcomes of the South Beach Diet. Nor have there been such studies of the overall health or cardiovascular benefits of following a low-glycemic-index diet. But eating such foods as whole grains, unsaturated fats, vegetables and fruits should help to promote good health.
The South Beach Diet is generally safe if you follow it as outlined in official South Beach Diet books and websites. However, if you severely restrict your carbohydrates, you may experience problems from ketosis. Ketosis occurs when you don't have enough sugar (glucose) for energy, so your body breaks down stored fat, causing ketones to build up in your body. Side effects from ketosis can include nausea, headache, mental fatigue and bad breath, and sometimes dehydration and dizziness.
June 05, 2014
See more In-depth
- Goff SL, et al. Nutrition and weight loss information in a popular diet book: Is it fact, fiction, or something in between? Journal of General Internal Medicine. 2006;21:769.
- Yungsheng MA, et al. A dietary quality comparison of popular weight-loss plans. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2007;107:1786.
- What is the South Beach Diet? South Beach Diet Online. http://www.southbeachdiet.com/about. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Baron M. Fighting obesity. Health Care Food & Nutrition Focus. 2004;21:1.
- Chalasani S, et al. South Beach Diet associated ketoacidosis: A case report. Journal of Medical Case Reports. 2008;2:45.
- Rutten LF, et al. Awareness, use, and perceptions of low-carbohydrate diets. Preventing Chronic Disease. 2008;5:A130.
- Last AR, et al. Low-carbohydrate diets. American Family Physician. 2006;73:1942.
- South Beach Diet recipes. South Beach Diet Online. http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/recipes. Accessed March 26, 2014.
- Malik VS, et al. Popular weight-loss diets: From evidence to practice. Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine. 2007;4:34.
- Miller M, et al. Comparative effects of three popular diets on lipids, endothelial function, and C-reactive protein during weight maintenance. Journal of the American Dietetic Association. 2009;109:713.
- Aude YW, et al. The National Cholesterol Education Program Diet vs a diet lower in carbohydrates and higher in protein and monounsaturated fat. Archives of Internal Medicine. 2004;164:2141.
- Walker C. et al. Diets for cardiovascular disease prevention: What is the evidence? American Family Physician. 2009;79:571.
- Agatston AS. The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss. Emmaus, Pa.: Rodale; 2003.
- Hensrud DD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 10, 2014.
- Lui S, et al. Dietary carbohydrates. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- Bray GA. Dietary approaches for obesity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2014.
- South Beach Diet Supercharged. South Beach Diet Online. http://www.southbeachdiet.com/diet/south-beach-diet-supercharged-book. Accessed March 26, 2014.