Fingernail care: Don'ts
To prevent nail damage, don't:
- Bite your fingernails or pick at your cuticles. These habits can damage the nail bed. Even a minor cut alongside your fingernail can allow bacteria or fungi to enter and cause an infection.
- Pull off hangnails. You might rip live tissue along with the hangnail. Instead, carefully clip off hangnails.
- Ignore problems. If you have a nail problem that doesn't seem to go away on its own or is associated with other signs and symptoms, consult your doctor or dermatologist for an evaluation.
- Use harsh nail care products. Limit your use of nail polish remover. When using nail polish remover, opt for an acetone-free formula.
A note about manicures and pedicures
If you rely on manicures or pedicures for healthy looking nails, keep a few things in mind. Stick to salons that display a current state license, and work only with technicians also licensed by the state board. Don't have your cuticles removed — it can lead to nail infection. Also, make sure your nail technician properly sterilizes all tools used during your procedure to prevent the spread of infection.
You might also ask how the foot baths are cleaned. Ideally, a bleach solution is used between clients and the filters are cleaned regularly.
It's easy to neglect your nails — but taking some basic steps can keep your fingernails healthy and strong.
Dec. 06, 2014
See more In-depth
- Nails. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/nails/nails. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Gregoriou S, et al. Nail disorders and systemic disease: What the nails tell us. Journal of Family Practice. 2008;57:509.
- Habif TP. Clinical Dermatology: A Color Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 5th ed. Edinburgh, U.K.; New York, N.Y.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Chang RM, et al. Treating cosmetically induced nail problems. Dermatologic Therapy. 2007;20:54.
- Brittle splitting nails. American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/brittle_splitting.html. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.
- Biotin. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Oct. 22, 2014.