Showers, locker rooms and swimming pools can spread athlete's foot from person to person. Find out how you can prevent this common fungal infection.
Whether it affects a small or large area of your body, itchy skin can be uncomfortable and persistent. Here's how to stop the itch.
Nickel allergy is a condition in which contact with items containing nickel causes an itchy, red rash usually at the site of contact.
Polymorphous light eruption is a sun-induced skin rash affecting people who develop a sensitivity to sunlight.
Ramsay Hunt syndrome, a neurological disorder caused by the chickenpox virus, often involves a rash in the ear and mouth and facial muscle weakness.
Stevens-Johnson syndrome is a disorder of the skin and mucous membranes. Often, this severe adverse reaction is caused by medication or an infection.
Feb. 11, 2015
- Subbarao I, et al., eds. American Medical Association Handbook of First Aid and Emergency Care. New York, N.Y.: Random House; 2009.
- Millman M, et al., eds. Mayo Clinic Guide to Self-Care. 6th ed. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=392. Accessed Nov. 6, 2014.
- Buttaravoli P, et al. Minor Emergencies. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 5, 2014.
- Brennan FH. Treatment and prevention of foot friction blisters. ACSM's Health & Fitness Journal. 2013;17:45.
- Khodaee M, et al. Common ultramarathon injuries and illnesses: Race day management. Current Sports Medicine Reports. 2012;11:290.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 16, 2014.