Atopic dermatitis (eczema) is a condition that makes your skin red and itchy. It's common in children but can occur at any age. Atopic dermatitis is long lasting (chronic) and tends to flare periodically. It may be accompanied by asthma or hay fever.
No cure has been found for atopic dermatitis. But treatments and self-care measures can relieve itching and prevent new outbreaks. For example, it helps to avoid harsh soaps, moisturize your skin regularly, and apply medicated creams or ointments.
July 25, 2017
- AskMayoExpert. Atopic dermatitis (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Eichenfeld LF, et al. Guidelines of care for the management of atopic dermatitis. Section 1. Diagnosis and assessment of atopic dermatitis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2014;70:338.
- Archer CB. Atopic dermatitis. Medicine. In press.Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Eichenfield LF, et al. Current guidelines for the evaluation and management of atopic dermatitis: A comparison of the Joint Task Force Practice Parameter and American Academy of Dermatology guidelines. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 2017;139:S49.
- Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Clinical Dermatology: A Color Atlas Guide to Diagnosis and Therapy. 6th ed. St. Louis, Mo.: Elsevier Saunders; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 9, 2017.
- Wolff K, et al. Atopic dermatitis ICD-10: L20. In: Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2017.
- Ibler KS, et al. Hand eczema: Prevalence and risk factors of hand eczema in a population of 2,274 health care workers. Contact Dermatitis. 2012;67:200.
- Bleach baths. National Eczema Association. https://nationaleczema.org/alternative-therapies/bleach-baths/. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Atopic dermatitis. Eczema. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. https://naturalmedicines.therapeuticresearch.com/databases/medical-conditions/a/atopic-dermatitis.aspx. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Weston WL, et al. Patient information: Atopic dermatitis (eczema) (Beyond the Basics). https://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 10, 2017.
- Wolter S, et al. Atopic dermatitis. Pediatric Clinics of North America. 2014;61:241.
- Zhang A, et al. Association of atopic dermatitis with being overweight and obese: A systematic review and metaanalysis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2015;72:606.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 30, 2017.
Atopic dermatitis (eczema)