Neurological yips are associated with:
- Older age
- More experience playing golf
- Lower handicap
Psychological yips can be a problem at any age and experience level. When you start to have episodes of the yips, you lose confidence, worry about recurrence and feel anxious whenever you have to putt. These reactions can perpetuate the cycle — your increased yips-related anxiety makes your symptoms worse.
May. 03, 2011
- Adler CH. Sports-related task-specific dystonia: The yips. In: Stacy MA. Handbook of Dystonia. New York, N.Y.: Informa Healthcare; 2007:209.
- Kartha N. Dystonia. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine. 2006;22:899.
- Olanow CW. Hyperkinetic movement disorders. In: Fauci AS, et al. Harrison's Online. 17th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2008. http://www.accessmedicine.com/content.aspx?aID=2906012. Accessed March 31, 2011.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 31, 2011.