Wrist pain may vary, depending on what's causing it. For example, osteoarthritis pain is often described as being similar to a dull toothache, while carpal tunnel syndrome usually causes a pins-and-needles feeling, especially at night. The precise location of your wrist pain also can give clues to what might be causing your symptoms.
When to see a doctor
Not all wrist pain requires medical care. Minor sprains and strains, for instance, usually respond to ice, rest and over-the-counter pain medications. But if pain and swelling last longer than a few days or become worse, see your doctor. Delays in diagnosis and treatment can lead to poor healing, reduced range of motion and long-term disability.
Oct. 25, 2014
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Questions and answers about sprains and strains. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Sprains_Strains/default.asp. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Blake RB. Evaluation of the adult with subacute or chronic wrist pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Upton DS, et al. Overview of acute wrist injuries in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Wrist pain: Acute and Chronic. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Boggess BR. Anatomy and basic biomechanics of the wrist. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Mauer M. Wrist injury. First Consult. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Boggess BR. Evaluation of the adult with acute wrist pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- National Institutes of Health. Calcium fact sheet for consumers. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 12, 2014
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.