Although you may initially consult your family physician, he or she may refer you to a doctor who specializes in joint disorders (rheumatologist), sports medicine or even an orthopedic surgeon.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had or have
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
Oct. 25, 2014
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Do they seem to be connected to a recent injury?
- Does any particular wrist motion trigger your pain?
- Is there any numbness or tingling in your hand?
- Are you right-handed or left-handed?
- What is your occupation? Does it require a lot of wrist motion?
- Do you participate in any sports or hobbies that put stress on your wrist?
- Firestein GS, et al. Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Questions and answers about sprains and strains. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Sprains_Strains/default.asp. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Blake RB. Evaluation of the adult with subacute or chronic wrist pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Upton DS, et al. Overview of acute wrist injuries in children and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Wrist pain: Acute and Chronic. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Boggess BR. Anatomy and basic biomechanics of the wrist. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Mauer M. Wrist injury. First Consult. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Boggess BR. Evaluation of the adult with acute wrist pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- National Institutes of Health. Calcium fact sheet for consumers. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-Consumer. Accessed Sept. 8, 2014.
- Laskowski ER (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 12, 2014
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.