Wilms' tumor doesn't always cause signs and symptoms. Children with Wilms' tumor may appear healthy, or they may experience:
- Abdominal swelling
- An abdominal mass you can feel
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in the urine
When to see a doctor
Make an appointment with your child's doctor if you notice any signs or symptoms that worry you. The signs and symptoms associated with Wilms' tumor aren't specific to the condition and are much more likely to be caused by something else.
Sep. 02, 2011
- Ritchey ML, et al. Pediatric urologic oncology. In: Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2007. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1445/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Warner BW. Pediatric surgery. In: Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 18th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1565/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- Anderson PM, et al. Neoplasms of the kidney. In: Kliegman RM. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed July 20, 2011.
- What is a clinical trial? CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/ArticleView2.aspx?id=8724&l=8657&c=a583b5. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Young people with cancer: A handbook for parents. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/coping/youngpeople/AllPages. Accessed July 21, 2011.
- Khan SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 15, 2011.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals: Cancer. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/cancer. Accessed June 23, 2010.
- Wilms tumor staging. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-staging. Accessed Feb. 9, 2011.
- Kidney tumors committee. CureSearch for Children's Cancer. http://www.curesearch.org/our_research/index_sub.aspx?id=1764. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: General. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-general-info. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Treating Wilms tumor: Surgery. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-treating-surgery. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor and other childhood kidney tumors. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/wilms/patient/allpages#Keypoint24. Accessed Nov. 4, 2010.
- Wilms tumor key statistics. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-key-statistics. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- What is Wilms tumor. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-what-is-wilms-tumor. Accessed Dec. 29, 2010.
- American Cancer Society. What Are the Risk Factors for Wilms Tumor? http://www.cancer.org/Cancer/WilmsTumor/DetailedGuide/wilms-tumor-risk-factors. Accessed Feb. 4, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.