The following tips on dealing with coughing spells apply to anyone being treated for whooping cough at home:
Jan. 15, 2015
- Get plenty of rest. A cool, quiet and dark bedroom may help you relax and rest better.
- Drink plenty of fluids. Water, juice and soups are good choices. In children, especially, watch for signs of dehydration, such as dry lips, crying without tears and infrequent urination.
- Eat smaller meals. To avoid vomiting after coughing, eat smaller, more-frequent meals rather than large ones.
- Clean the air. Keep your home free of irritants that can trigger coughing spells, such as tobacco smoke and fumes from fireplaces.
- Prevent transmission. Cover your cough and wash your hands often; if you must be around others, wear a mask.
- Pertussis frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/about/faqs.html. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Cornia P, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Bordetella pertussis infections in adolescents and adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Jakinovich A, et al. Pertussis: Still a cause of death, seven decades into vaccination. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2014;26:597.
- Yeh S. et al. Bordetella pertussis infection in infants and children: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Yeh S, et al. Bordetella pertussis infection in infants and children: Treatment and prevention. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
- Kline JM, et al. Pertussis: A reemerging infection. American Family Physician. 2013;88:507.
- Tdap vaccine — What you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/tdap.html. Accessed Dec. 23, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.