Von Willebrand disease is a lifelong bleeding disorder in which your blood doesn't clot well. Most people with the disease are born with it, though its warning signs may not show up for years. Some people may suspect they have a bleeding disorder when they have heavy bleeding after a dental procedure or, for women, during a menstrual period.
Most people with this condition inherited it from a parent. They have a faulty gene that causes problems with a protein important to the blood-clotting process.
Von Willebrand disease can't be cured. But with good treatment and self-care, most people with this disease can lead active lives.
Dec. 03, 2016
- The diagnosis, evaluation, and management of von Willebrand disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/vwd/index.htm. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Disorders of platelets and vessel wall. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: McGraw-Hill Education; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Berntorp E. Von Willebrand disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:s34.
- Rick ME. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Facts about von Willebrand disease. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/vwd/facts.html. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- Rick ME. Treatment of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 5, 2016.
- AskMayoExpert. Von Willebrand disease. Rochester, MN: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Patient education: von Willebrand disease (The Basics). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 22, 2016.
- Hoots WK, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 23, 2016.
- How is von Willebrand disease treated? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vwd/treatment#. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- Von Willebrand disease. National Hemophilia Foundation. https://www.hemophilia.org/Bleeding-Disorders/Types-of-Bleeding-Disorders/Von-Willebrand-Disease. Accessed Nov. 30, 2016.
- 12. Leebeek FWG, et al. Von Willebrand's disease. New England Journal of Medicine. 2016;375:2067.