Von Willebrand disease is a condition that can cause extended or excessive bleeding. The condition is most often inherited but in rare cases may develop later in life.
The cause of von Willebrand disease is a deficiency in or impairment of a protein called von Willebrand factor, an important component in your blood-clotting process. In general, it takes longer for people with von Willebrand disease to form clots and stop bleeding when they're cut.
Treatment of von Willebrand disease focuses on stopping or preventing bleeding episodes, typically by using medications. With the right treatment, most people with von Willebrand disease can lead relatively normal, healthy lives.
Jan. 02, 2014
- The diagnosis, evaluation, and management of von Willebrand disease. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/vwd/index.htm. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Berntorp E. Von Willebrand disease. Pediatric Blood Cancer. 2013;60:s34.
- Rick ME. Clinical presentation and diagnosis of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Rick ME. Treatment of von Willebrand disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Facts about von Willebrand disease. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/vwd/facts.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- Von Willebrand disease. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/thrombocytopenia_and_platelet_dysfunction/von_willebrand_disease.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
- What is von Willebrand disease? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vwd/printall-index.html. Accessed Sept. 11, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.