You may not always be able to avoid a vasovagal syncope episode. If you feel like you might faint, lie down and lift your legs.
This allows gravity to keep blood flowing to your brain. If you can't lie down, sit down and put your head between your knees until you feel better.
Feb. 12, 2016
- Syncope. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/symptoms_of_cardiovascular_disorders/syncope.html#v1145025. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Stone CK, et al., eds. Immediate management of life-threatening problems causing syncope. In: Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Emergency Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Jardine DL. Vasovagal syncope: New physiologic insights. Cardiology Clinics. 2013;31:75.
- Aminoff MJ, et al. Seizures & syncope. In: Clinical Neurology. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Dec. 14, 2015.
- Angaran P, et al. Syncope. Neurology Clinics. 2011;29:903.
- Olshansky B. Upright tilt table testing in the evaluation of syncope. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 15, 2015.