Complications of vasculitis depend on the type and severity of your condition. Or they may be related to side effects of the prescription medications you use to treat it. Complications of vasculitis include:
Oct. 08, 2014
- Organ damage. Some types of vasculitis can be severe, causing damage to major organs.
- Blood clots and aneurysms. A blood clot may form in a blood vessel, obstructing blood flow. Rarely, vasculitis will cause a blood vessel to weaken and bulge, forming an aneurysm (AN-yoo-riz-um). You may need surgery to remove an aneurysm.
- Vision loss or blindness. This is a possible complication if giant cell arteritis is left untreated.
- Infections. These include serious and life-threatening conditions, such as pneumonia and blood infection (sepsis).
- What is vasculitis? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/vas/. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed July 16, 2014.
- Gwathmey KG, et al. Vasculitic neuropathies. Lancet Neurology. 2014;13:67.
- Guillevin L. Infections in vasculitis. Best Practice & Research in Clinical Rheumatology. 2013;27:19.
- Merkel PA. Overview of the management of vasculitis in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Tarzi R, et al. Small vessel vasculitides. Medicine. 2014;42:138.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 17, 2014.
- Zand L, et al. Treatment of ANCA-associated vasculitis: New therapies and a look at old entities. Advances in Chronic Kidney Disease. 2014;21:182.
- Murphy JG, et al., eds. Mayo Clinic Cardiology: Concise Textbook. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: Oxford University Press; 2013.
- Pipitone N, et al. Role of imaging in the diagnosis of large and medium‐sized vessel vasculitis. Rheumatic Disease Clinics of North America. 2013;39:593.
- Warrington KJ, et al. A primer on vasculitis. Minnesota Medicine. 2013;96:36.
- Weyand CM, et al. Giant-cell arteritis and polymyalgia rheumatica. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:50.
- Dammacco F, et al. Therapy for hepatitis C virus-related cryoglobulinemic vasculitis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:1035.
- Grayson PC, et al. New features of disease after diagnosis in 6 forms of systemic vasculitis. Journal of Rheumatology. 2013;40:1905.
- Specks U, et al. Efficacy of remission-induction regimens for ANCA-associated vasculitis. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013;369:417.