- Efficient care. Your Mayo Clinic urology care team can move you quickly from diagnosis to recovery, often within a few days of your initial visit. Team members coordinate all your care on the Mayo Clinic campus.
- Expertise. Highly skilled urologists at Mayo Clinic perform both minimally invasive and reconstructive surgical techniques to treat urethral strictures, resulting in faster recovery with minimal scarring.
- Experience. Mayo Clinic urologists and their teams are highly trained, often with additional specialty training to deal with complex urethral reconstructive procedures.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for urology by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for urology by U.S. News & World Report.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Narrowing of the tube that carries urine out of the body (urethra) can be caused by the buildup of scar tissue due to:
- Trauma or direct injury to the urethra or pelvis (pelvic fracture)
- Intermittent or long-term use of a catheter, a tube inserted through the urethra to drain the bladder
- Enlarged prostate or previous surgery to remove or reduce an enlarged prostate gland
- Cancer of the urethra or prostate
- Sexually transmitted infections
Stricture is more common in males than females because of the longer urethra.
Signs and symptoms of urethral stricture include:
- Slowing of your urine stream, which can happen suddenly or gradually
- Urine leakage or dribbling after urination
- Difficulty, straining or pain when urinating
- Increased urge to urinate or more frequent urination
- Swollen penis
- Blood or discharge from the penis
- Pain in the pelvis or lower abdomen
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Nov. 20, 2012
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.