A urethral (u-REE-thrul) stricture occurs when scarring narrows the tube that carries urine out of your body. A stricture restricts the flow of urine from the bladder and can cause a variety of medical problems in the urinary tract, including inflammation or infection.
Narrowing of the tube that carries urine out of the body (urethra) can be caused by the buildup of scar tissue due to:
- Tissue damage from a urologic procedure using medical instruments inserted into the urethra, such as an endoscope for viewing urinary tract structures
- Intermittent or long-term use of a catheter, a tube inserted through the urethra to drain the bladder
- Trauma or direct injury to the urethra or pelvis, such as a pelvic fracture
- Enlarged prostate or previous surgery to remove or reduce an enlarged prostate gland
- Cancer of the urethra or prostate
- Sexually transmitted infections
Urethral stricture is more common in males than in females because males have a longer urethra.
Signs and symptoms of urethral stricture disease include:
- Slowing of your urine stream, which can happen suddenly or gradually
- Urine leakage or dribbling after urination
- Spraying of the urine stream
- Difficulty, straining or pain when urinating
- Increased urge to urinate or more frequent urination
- Blood or discharge from the penis
- Pain in the pelvis or lower abdomen
Sept. 04, 2015
- Peterson A. Treatment of urethral stricture disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 29, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Urethral stricture disease. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Urinary retention. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/urologic-disease/urinary-retention/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Wein AJ, et al., eds. Surgery of the penis and urethra. In: Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 30, 2015.
- Wolter CE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Aug. 10, 2015.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2015.
- Castle EP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. Aug. 17, 2015.