For children, complications of an umbilical hernia are rare. Complications can occur when the protruding abdominal tissue becomes trapped (incarcerated) and can no longer be pushed back into the abdominal cavity. This reduces the blood supply to the section of trapped intestine and can lead to umbilical pain and tissue damage. If the trapped portion of intestine is completely cut off from the blood supply (strangulated hernia), tissue death (gangrene) may occur. Infection may spread throughout the abdominal cavity, causing a life-threatening situation.
Adults with umbilical hernia are somewhat more likely to experience incarceration or obstruction of the intestines. Emergency surgery is typically required to treat these complications.
April 24, 2015
- Hernias of the abdominal wall. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/gastrointestinal_disorders/acute_abdomen_and_surgical_gastroenterology/hernias_of_the_abdominal_wall.html#v890814. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Kelly KB, et al. Pediatric abdominal wall defects. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2013;93:1255.
- Brooks DC. Overview of abdominal wall hernias. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Palazzi DL, et al. Care of the umbilicus and management of umbilical disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Earle DB, et al. Repair of umbilical and epigastric hernias. Surgical Clinics of North America. 2013;93:1057.
- Barreto L, et al. Umbilical hernia. BMJ. 2013;347:f4252.
- Hoecker JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 12, 2015.
- Hassan AMA, et al. Outcome of sublay mesh repair in non-complicated umbilical hernia with liver cirrhosis and ascites. International Journal of Surgery. 2014;12:181.
- Cameron JL, et al. In: Current Surgical Therapy. 11th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 15, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.