Tuberous sclerosis (TWO-bur-uhs skluh-ROH-sis), also called tuberous sclerosis complex, is a rare genetic disease that causes noncancerous (benign) tumors to grow in many parts of the body. The signs and symptoms of tuberous sclerosis vary widely, depending on where the tumors develop and how severely a person is affected.
Tuberous sclerosis is often detected during infancy or childhood. Some people with tuberous sclerosis have such mild signs and symptoms that the condition isn't diagnosed until adulthood, or it goes undiagnosed. Others experience serious disabilities.
Although there's no cure for tuberous sclerosis, treatments are being studied. The course or severity of the disease can't be predicted, but with appropriate care, many people who have tuberous sclerosis lead full, productive lives.
Nov. 25, 2014
- Babovic-Vuksanovic D (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 28, 2014.
- Tuberous sclerosis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tuberous_sclerosis/detail_tuberous_sclerosis.htm. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Tuberous sclerosis complex. Genetics Home Reference. http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/tuberous-sclerosis-complex. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Tuberous sclerosis. National Organization for Rare Disorders. https://www.rarediseases.org/rare-disease-information/rare-diseases/byID/35/viewFullReport. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Owens J, et al. Tuberous sclerosis complex: Genetics, clinical features, and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Owens J, et al. Tuberous sclerosis complex: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 23, 2014.
- Krueger DA, et al. Tuberous sclerosis complex surveillance and management: Recommendation of the 2012 International Tuberous Sclerosis Complex Consensus Conference. Pediatric Neurology. 2013;49:255.
- About TSA. Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance. http://www.tsalliance.org/. Accessed Sept. 30, 2014.
- Hand JL (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 4, 2014.