Coping and support
Your self-esteem may suffer as a result of Tourette syndrome. You may be embarrassed about your tics and hesitate to engage in social activities, such as dating or going out in public. As a result, you're at increased risk of depression and substance abuse.
To cope with Tourette syndrome:
- Remember that tics usually reach their peak in the early teens and improve as you get older.
- Reach out to others dealing with Tourette syndrome for information, coping tips and support.
Children with Tourette syndrome
School may pose special challenges for children with Tourette syndrome.
To help your child:
- Be your child's advocate. Help educate teachers, school bus drivers and others with whom your child interacts regularly. An educational setting that meets your child's needs — such as tutoring, untimed testing to reduce stress, and smaller classes — can help.
- Nurture your child's self-esteem. Support your child's personal interests and friendships — both can help build self-esteem.
- Find a support group. To help you cope, seek out a local Tourette syndrome support group. If there aren't any, consider starting one.
Nov. 21, 2015
- Jankovic J. Tourette syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Tourette's syndrome. In: Ferri's Practical Guide: Fast Facts for Patient Care. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 7, 2015.
- Hallett M. Tourette syndrome: Update. Brain & Development. 2015;37:651.
- Zhang JG, et al. Long-term outcomes of globus pallidus internus deep brain stimulation in patients with Tourette syndrome. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2014;89:1506.
- Gilbert DL, et al. Pharmacological treatment of Tourette syndrome. Journal of Obsessive-Compulsive and Related Disorders. 2014;3:407.
- Swaiman K, et al., eds. Tics and Tourette's syndrome. In: Swaiman's Pediatric Neurology: Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier: 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 8, 2015.
- Shaw ZA, et al. Tics and Tourette syndrome. Psychiatric Clinics of North America. 2014;37:269.
- Ganos C, et al. Tics and Tourette syndrome. Neurologic Clinics. 2015;33:115.
- Ghosh D, et al. Sleep disorders in children with Tourette syndrome. Pediatric Neurology. 2014;51:31.
- Riggin EA. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.
- Tourette syndrome fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/tourette/detail_tourette.htm. Accessed Nov. 8, 2015.