If you've torn your meniscus, you may experience the following signs and symptoms in your knee:
- A popping sensation
- Swelling or stiffness
- Pain, especially when twisting or rotating your knee
- Difficulty straightening your knee fully
- Experiencing what feels like a block to moving your knee, as if your knee were locked in place
When to see a doctor
Contact your doctor if your knee is painful or swollen, or if you can't move your knee in the usual ways.
March 28, 2014
- Skinner HB. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Orthopedics. 4th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2006. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=20. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Anderson BC. Meniscal injury of the knee. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Meniscal tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00358. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.
- Knee arthroscopy. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00299. Accessed Aug. 14, 2013.