These factors may increase your risk of a tooth abscess:
Feb. 07, 2013
- Poor dental hygiene. Not taking proper care of your teeth and gums — such as not brushing your teeth twice a day and not flossing — can increase your risk of tooth decay, gum disease, tooth abscess, and other dental and mouth complications.
- A diet high in sugar. Frequently eating and drinking foods rich in sugar, such as sweets and sodas, can contribute to dental cavities and turn into a tooth abscess.
- Yadav S, et al. Facial necrotizing fasciitis from an odontogenic infection. Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology. 2012;113:e1.
- Levi ME, et al. Oral infections and antibiotic therapy. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America. 2011;44:57.
- Oral health fact sheet N°318. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/en/. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Root canal. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/r/root-canals.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Toothache and infection. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dental_disorders/symptoms_of_dental_and_oral_disorders/toothache_and_infection.html. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Cavities. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/c/cavities.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- Brushing your teeth. American Dental Association. http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/az-topics/b/brushing-your-teeth.aspx. Accessed Dec. 27, 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the primary causes of a dental abscess? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When should patients with a dental abscess be referred for evaluation or treatment? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- AskMayoExpert. When are patients with a dental abscess considered for operative procedures? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Sheridan PJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
- Roberts JR, et al. Clinical Procedures in Emergency Medicine. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1&isbn=978-1-4160-3623-4&sid=1401051032&uniqId=397705187-6#4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-3623-4..00065-1. Accessed Jan. 22, 2013.
- Carr AB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 21, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.