You'll probably first talk about your TMJ symptoms with your family doctor or dentist. If their suggested treatments don't provide enough relief, you may eventually be referred to a doctor who specializes in TMJ disorders.
What you can do
You may want to prepare a list that answers the following questions:
- When did your symptoms begin?
- Have you ever had this occur in the past?
- Has your level of stress increased recently?
- Do you have frequent headaches, neck aches or toothaches?
- What medications and supplements do you take regularly?
What to expect from your doctor or dentist
Your doctor may ask some of the following questions:
- Is your pain constant or do your symptoms come and go?
- Does any activity seem to trigger the pain?
- Does your jaw click or pop when you move it? Is that clicking painful?
- Is it difficult to open your mouth normally?