Tinea versicolor is a common fungal infection of the skin. The fungus interferes with the normal pigmentation of the skin, resulting in small, discolored patches. These patches may be lighter or darker in color than the surrounding skin and most commonly affect the trunk and shoulders.
Tinea versicolor (TIN-ee-uh vur-si-KUL-ur), occurs most frequently in teens and young adults. Sun exposure may make tinea versicolor more apparent. Tinea versicolor, which is also called pityriasis versicolor, is not painful or contagious. But it can lead to emotional distress or self-consciousness.
Antifungal creams, lotions or shampoos can help treat tinea versicolor. But even after successful treatment, skin color may remain uneven for several weeks or months. Tinea versicolor often recurs, especially in warm, humid weather.
April 22, 2015
- Ferri FF. Tinea versicolor. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Yeast infections: Candidiasis, tinea (pityriasis) versicolor and malassezia (pityrosporum) folliculitis. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Bamford J, et al. Interventions for the treatment of pityriasis versicolor. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://ovidsp.tx.ovid.com/sp-3.14.0b/ovidweb.cgi. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. Superficial fungal infections. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2012.
- Tinea versicolor. American Academy of Dermatology. www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/q---t/tinea-versicolor. Accessed March 9, 2015.
- Tinea versicolor. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic_disorders/fungal_skin_infections/tinea_versicolor.html. Accessed March 9, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.