Complications associated with thyroid nodules include:
Apr. 04, 2014
- Problems swallowing or breathing. Large nodules or a multinodular goiter — an enlargement of the thyroid gland containing several distinct nodules — can interfere with swallowing or breathing.
- Hyperthyroidism. Problems can occur when a nodule or goiter produces thyroid hormone, leading to hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism can result in weight loss, muscle weakness, heat intolerance, and anxiousness or irritability. Potential complications of hyperthyroidism include irregular heartbeat (atrial fibrillation); weak bones (osteoporosis); and thyrotoxic crisis, a sudden and potentially life-threatening intensification of signs and symptoms that requires immediate medical care.
- Problems associated with thyroid cancer. If a thyroid nodule is cancerous, surgery is usually required. Generally, most or all of your thyroid gland is removed, after which you'll need to take thyroid hormone replacement therapy for the rest of your life. Most thyroid cancers are found early, though, and have a good prognosis.
- Thyroid nodules. American Thyroid Association. http://thyroid.org/wp-content/uploads/patients/brochures/Nodules_brochure.pdf. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Ross DS. Diagnostic approach to and treatment of thyroid nodules. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Ross DS. Overview of thyroid nodule formation. http://www.uptodate.com/home/. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Approach to the patient with a thyroid nodule. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/thyroid_disorders/approach_to_the_patient_with_a_thyroid_nodule.html?qt=4.%09Approach to the patient with a thyroid nodule&alt=sh. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Cooper DS, et al. Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid. 2009;19:1167.
- Lalwani AK. Current Diagnosis & Treatment in Otolaryngology — Head & Neck Surgery. 3rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=39. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Doherty GM, ed. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Surgery. 13th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2010. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=23. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Ross DS. Cystic thyroid nodules. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Goiter. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org.php54-1.ord1-1.websitetestlink.com/what-is-a-goiter/. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Thyroid cancer. American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/thyroidcancer/detailedguide/index. Accessed Nov. 18, 2013.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 19, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.