Pain is the first and most common symptom of thumb arthritis. Pain can occur at the base of your thumb when you grip, grasp or pinch an object, or use your thumb to apply force.
Other signs and symptoms might include:
- Swelling, stiffness and tenderness at the base of your thumb
- Decreased strength when pinching or grasping objects
- Decreased range of motion
- Enlarged or bony appearance of the joint at the base of your thumb
When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have persistent swelling, stiffness or pain at the base of your thumb.
May 14, 2015
- Frontera WR. Hand osteoarthritis. In: Essentials of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: Musculoskeletal Disorders, Pain, and Rehabilitation. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Li YK, et al. Five things to know about … carpometacarpal osteoarthritis of the thumb. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:149.
- Arthritis of the thumb. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00210. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Firestein GS, et al. Hand and wrist pain. In: Kelley's Textbook of Rheumatology. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What are the presenting symptoms of thumb arthritis? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Bray J, et al. Evaluation of the patient with thumb pain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Hochberg MC. The wrist and hand. In: Rheumatology. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Ladd AL, et al. The 2014 ABJS Nicolas Andry award: The puzzle of the thumb: Mobility, stability, and demands in opposition. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. 2014;472:3605.
- Arthritis: Base of the thumb. American Society for Surgery of the Hand. http://www.assh.org/PUBLIC/HANDCONDITIONS/Pages/ArthritisBaseofthe.aspx. Accessed March 25, 2015.
- Berger AJ, et al. Management of osteoarthritis of the thumb joints. Journal of Hand Surgery (American Volume). 2015;40:843.
- Chang-Miller A (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Ariz. April 9, 2015.
- Kloppenburg M. Hand osteoarthritis — nonpharmacological and pharmacological treatments. Nature Reviews Rheumatology.2014;10:242.