The cause of thrombophlebitis is a blood clot. Blood clots can be caused by many different things — namely anything that causes your blood not to circulate properly. It's possible a blood clot that causes thrombophlebitis could be caused by:
Feb. 22, 2014
- An injury to a vein
- An inherited blood-clotting disorder
- Being immobile for long periods of time, such as during a hospital stay
- Torpy JM, et al. Thrombophlebitis. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2011;305:1372.
- Deep vein thrombosis. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/dvt/printall-index.html. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Venous thromboembolism diagnosis and treatment. Bloomington, Minn.: Institute for Clinical Systems Improvement. https://www.icsi.org/guidelines__more/catalog_guidelines_and_more/catalog_guidelines/catalog_cardiovascular_guidelines/vte_treatment/. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Fernandez L, et al. Superficial thrombophlebitis of the lower extremity. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT). The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/peripheral_venous_disorders/deep_venous_thrombosis_dvt.html. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Antithrombotic therapy and prevention of thrombosis, 9th ed. Northbrook, Ill.: American College of Chest Physicians. http://journal.publications.chestnet.org/article.aspx?articleid=1159399. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- Di Nisio M, et al. Treatment for superficial thrombophlebitis of the leg. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD004982.pub5/abstract. Accessed Oct. 3, 2013.
- McBane RD (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 11, 2013.