Mayo Clinic's physicians and surgeons provide comprehensive care for more than 1,000 people with thoracic outlet syndrome every year.
- Coordinated care. Diagnosing and treating thoracic outlet syndrome may involve experts in vascular surgery, vascular medicine, neurology, chest surgery (thoracic surgery), radiology, physical medicine and rehabilitation, and orthopedic surgery.
- State-of-the-art diagnosis. Thoracic outlet syndrome can be challenging to diagnose because its symptoms overlap with those of many other conditions. Doctors at Mayo Clinic have access to the latest imaging techniques and ongoing research, which allows them to provide a quick and accurate diagnosis.
- Treatment options. Thoracic outlet syndrome treatment may include medications, physical therapy or surgery. A number of surgical options — performed by highly trained and experienced vascular surgeons — are available, depending on the cause of your thoracic outlet syndrome.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., is ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery, for orthopedics, and for rehabilitation by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's neurology and orthopedic surgery departments' expertise and rankings.
Aug. 27, 2016
- Ferri FF. Thoracic outlet syndrome. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Kuhn JE, et al. Thoracic outlet syndrome. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. 2015;23:222.
- NINDS thoracic outlet syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Goshima K. Overview of thoracic outlet syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 24, 2016.
- Buller LT, et al. Thoracic outlet syndrome: Current concepts, imaging features, and therapeutic strategies. The American Journal of Orthopedics. 2015;44:376.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00336. Accessed May 31, 2016.
- Grunebach H, et al. Thoracic outlet syndrome. Vascular Medicine. 2015;20:493.
- Riggs EA. AllScripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. May 10, 2016.