Thoracic outlet syndrome that goes untreated for years can cause permanent neurological damage, so it's important to have your symptoms evaluated and treated early, or take steps to prevent the disorder.
If you're susceptible to thoracic outlet compression, avoid repetitive movements and lifting heavy objects.
If you're overweight, you can prevent or relieve symptoms associated with thoracic outlet syndrome by losing weight.
Even if you don't have symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome, avoid carrying heavy bags over your shoulder, because this can increase pressure on the thoracic outlet.
Stretch daily, and perform exercises that keep your shoulder muscles strong.
Aug. 01, 2013
- NINDS thoracic outlet syndrome information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/thoracic/thoracic.htm. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00336. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet compression syndromes. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/peripheral_nervous_system_and_motor_unit_disorders/thoracic_outlet_compression_syndromes.html?qt=thoracic%20outlet%20&alt=sh. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Thoracic outlet syndrome. The Society for Vascular Surgery. http://www.vascularweb.org/vascularhealth/Pages/thoracic-outlet-syndrome.aspx. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Goshima K. Overview of thoracic outlet syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 8, 2013.
- Bromberg MB. Brachial plexus syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 13, 2013.
- Neurological diagnostic tests and procedures. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/misc/diagnostic_tests.htm. Accessed May 8, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.