A thoracic aortic aneurysm is a weakened area in the upper part of the aorta. The aorta is the major blood vessel that feeds blood to the body.
A thoracic aortic aneurysm may also be called thoracic aneurysm and aortic dissection (TAAD) because an aneurysm can lead to a tear in the artery wall (dissection) that can cause life-threatening bleeding. Small and slow-growing thoracic aortic aneurysms may not ever rupture, but large, fast-growing aneurysms may rupture.
Depending on the size and growth rate of your thoracic aortic aneurysm, treatment may vary from watchful waiting to emergency surgery. Ideally, surgery for a thoracic aortic aneurysm can be planned if necessary.
April 01, 2015
- What is an aneurysm? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/arm. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Hiratzka LF, et al. 2010 ACCF/AHA/AATS/ACR/ASA/SCA/SCAI/SIR/STS/SVM guidelines for the diagnosis and management of patients with thoracic aortic disease: Executive summary. Catheterization and Cardiovascular Interventions. 2010;76:E43.
- Aortic aneurysms. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. http://www.sts.org/patient-information/aneurysm-surgery/aortic-aneurysms. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/cardiovascular_disorders/diseases_of_the_aorta_and_its_branches/thoracic_aortic_aneurysms.html?qt=thoracic%20aortic%20aneurysm&alt=sh. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/content.aspx?bookid=330§ionid=44291014. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- What is Marfan syndrome? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/mar. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- What is EDS? Ehlers-Danlos National Foundation. http://www.ednf.org/what-eds. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Booher AM, et al. Diagnosis and management issues in thoracic aortic aneurysm. American Heart Journal. 2011;162:38.
- Jondeau G, et al. Genetics of thoracic aortic aneurysms. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2012;14:219.
- Shah AA, et al. Results of thoracic endovascular aortic repair 6 years after United States Food and Drug Administration approval. The Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2012;94:1394.
- Wright MJ. Management of Marfan syndrome and related disorders. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Thoracic aortic aneurysms and aortic dissections. GeneReviews. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1120/?report=printable. Accessed Dec. 15, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of thoracic aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Epidemiology, risk factors, pathogenesis and natural history of thoracic aortic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Woo YJ, et al. Management and outcome of thoracic aneurysm. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Wang GJ, et al. Endovascular repair of the thoracic aorta. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 21, 2014.
- Dines DE, et al. Thoracic aortic aneurysm: Case report of fatal rupture. Rocky Mountain Medical Journal. 1961;58:39.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. December 5, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. How is Marfan syndrome diagnosed? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2014-15. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 29, 2014.
- Bowen JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 5, 2015.
- Coselli JS, et al. Early and 1-year outcomes of aortic root surgery in patients with Marfan syndrome: A prospective, multicenter, comparative study. The Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 2014;147:1758.
- Mosman EA. Radiology information management system. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 12, 2015.
- Severson RM. Society of Thoracic Surgeons National Database. Accessed Jan. 15, 2015.
News, connections and conversations for your health
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.