Treatment depends on the particular type of sun allergy you have. For mild cases, simply avoiding the sun for a few days may be enough to resolve the signs and symptoms.
Creams containing corticosteroids are available over-the-counter and in stronger prescription form. For a severe allergic skin reaction, your doctor might prescribe a short course of corticosteroid pills, such as prednisone.
The malaria medication hydroxychloroquine (Plaquenil) may ease symptoms of some types of sun allergies.
If you have a severe sun allergy, your doctor might suggest gradually getting your skin used to sunlight each spring. In phototherapy, a special lamp is used to shine ultraviolet light on areas of your body that are often exposed to the sun. It's generally done a few times a week over several weeks.
July 23, 2015
- Elmets CA. Polymorphous light eruption. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- American Osteopathic College of Dermatology. Polymorphous light eruption. http://www.aocd.org/?page=PolymorphousLightE. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- Elmets CA. Photosensitivity disorders (photodermatoses): Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- Elmets CA. Overview of cutaneous photosensitivity: Photobiology, patient evaluation, and photoprotection. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- O’Gorman SM. Photoaggravated disorders. Dermatologic Clinics. 2014;32:385.
- Photosensitivity reactions. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/skin_disorders/sunlight_and_skin_damage/photosensitivity_reactions.html. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- Mauer MP. Photodermatitis. First consult. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed April 2, 2015.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 6, 2015.
- FDA sheds light on sunscreens. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm258416.htm. Accessed April 21, 2015.
- American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org. Accessed June 23, 2015.