A sty is a red, painful lump near the edge of your eyelid that may look like a boil or a pimple. Sties are often filled with pus. A sty usually forms on the outside of your eyelid. But sometimes it can form on the inner part of your eyelid.
In most cases, a sty will begin to disappear on its own in a couple days. In the meantime, you may be able to relieve the pain or discomfort of a sty by applying a warm washcloth to your eyelid.
June 03, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Hordeolum (stye). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Riordan-Eva P, et al. Lids and lacrimal apparatus. In: Vaughan & Asbury's General Ophthalmology. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- What Are Chalazia and Styes? American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/chalazion-stye.cfm. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- What you need to know about contact lens hygiene and compliance. American Optometric Association. http://www.aoa.org/x8024.xml. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Chalazion and hordeolum. Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/eye-disorders/eyelid-and-lacrimal-disorders/chalazion-and-hordeolum-stye. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Eye cosmetic safety. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductsIngredients/Products/ucm137241.htm. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Lindsley K, et al. Interventions for acute internal hordeolum. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD007742.pub3/abstract. Accessed March 31, 2015.
- Wash your hands. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/HandWashing. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Using eye makeup. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/living/eye-makeup.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Chalazion and stye treatment. American Academy of Ophthalmology. http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/chalazion-stye/treatment.cfm. Accessed April 1, 2015.
- Robertson DM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 18, 2015.