Here's some information to help you prepare for your appointment.
What you can do
Jotting down a list of questions will help you make the most of your appointment time. List your questions from most important to least important. For stretch marks, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:
- What is likely causing my stretch marks?
- Other than the most likely cause, what are other possible causes for my symptoms?
- What is the best course of action?
- What are my treatment options and the pros and cons for each?
- What results can I expect?
Don't hesitate to ask questions at any time during your appointment.
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor is likely to ask you several questions, such as:
Jan. 10, 2013
- When did you first notice the stretch marks?
- Do you have other symptoms?
- What medications are you taking?
- Do you regularly use cortisone skin creams?
- Mom and baby skin care. American Academy of Dermatology. http://www.aad.org/media-resources/stats-and-facts/prevention-and-care/mom-and-baby-skin-care. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-6/0/1608/0.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Pomerantz MK. The skin, hair, nails, and mucous membranes during pregnancy. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Hussain HA, et al. Stretch marks and treatment efficacies. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2012;66(suppl):AB29.
- Gabbe SG, et al. Obstetrics: Normal and Problem Pregnancies. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/208746819-4/0/1528/0.html. Accessed Nov. 14, 2012.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Nov. 15, 2012.
- Shipman AR, et al. Obesity and the skin. British Journal of Dermatology. 2011;165:743.
- Goel A, et al. Fractional lasers in dermatology — Current status and recommendations. Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology, and Leprology. 2011;77:369.
- Soltanipoor F, et al. The effect of olive oil on prevention of striae gravidarum: A randomized controlled clinical trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine. 2012;20:263.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 26, 2012.
- Tretinoin. Micromedex Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedex.com. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
- Gotu kola. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Nov. 27, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.