Strep throat is a bacterial infection that can make your throat feel sore and scratchy. Strep throat accounts for only a small portion of sore throats.
If untreated, strep throat can cause complications, such as kidney inflammation or rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a specific type of rash or heart valve damage.
Strep throat is most common in children, but it affects people of all ages. If you or your child has signs or symptoms of strep throat, see your doctor for prompt testing and treatment.
Aug. 04, 2017
- Is it strep throat? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/strepthroat/?authent_user=Stratford_Sub_Castle\hwaters&authent_user_sig=199dce7b3832cd37039a9b6ede9f36ba&authent_session=6eed9f36dca4e6ffbf7a5d42b3457d94&authent_session_sig=f0e63cbb1201bbd31e400fd39ac35a27. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Pichichero ME. Complications of streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Clinical practice guideline for the diagnosis and management of group A streptococcal pharyngitis: 2012 update by the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Arlington, Va.: Infectious Disease Society of America. http://www.idsociety.org/Search.aspx?&lcid=9&q=strep&tz=America%2FChicago. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Sore throats. American Academy of Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery. http://www.entnet.org/HealthInformation/soreThroats.cfm. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Pichichero ME. Treatment and prevention of streptococcal tonsillopharyngitis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.