Here are some things you can do to help prevent a sprained ankle.
Aug. 21, 2014
- Warm up before you exercise or play sports.
- Be careful when walking, running or working on an uneven surface.
- Wear shoes that fit well and are made for your activity.
- Don't wear high-heeled shoes.
- Don't play sports or participate in activities for which you are not conditioned.
- Maintain good muscle strength and flexibility.
- Practice stability training, including balance exercises.
- Sprained ankle. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://www.orthoinfo.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00150. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Maughan KL. Ankle sprain. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 9, 2014.
- Kaminski TW, et al. National Athletic Trainers' Association position statement: Conservative management and prevention of ankle sprains in athletes. Journal of Athletic Training. 2013;48:528.
- How to care for a sprained ankle. American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society. http://www.aofas.org/footcaremd/how-to/foot-injury/Pages/How%20to%20Care%20for%20a%20Sprained%20Ankle.aspx?PF=1. Accessed June 9, 2014.