Doctors aren't certain what causes spina bifida. As with many other problems, it appears to result from a combination of genetic and environmental risk factors, such as a family history of neural tube defects and folic acid deficiency.
Aug. 27, 2014
- Spina bifida: Facts. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/NCBDDD/spinabifida/facts.html. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Spina bifida fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/spina_bifida/detail_spina_bifida.htm. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Fieggen G, et al. Spina bifida: A multidisciplinary perspective on a many-faceted condition. South African Medical Journal. 2014;104:213.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Pathophysiology and clinical manifestations of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Second trimester maternal serum screening. LabTestsOnline. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/triple-screen/tab/sample/. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Hochberg L, et al. Prenatal screening and diagnosis for neural tube defects. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- Grivell RM, et al. Repair procedures for spina bifida for improving infant and maternal outcomes (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD008825/abstract. Accessed June 16, 2014.
- McLone DG, et al. Overview of the management of myelomeningocele (spina bifida). http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Dietary supplement fact sheet: Folate. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/folate. Accessed June 13, 2014.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 12, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.