To diagnose a spermatocele, you'll need a physical exam. Although a spermatocele generally isn't painful, you might feel discomfort when your doctor examines (palpates) the mass.
You might also undergo the following diagnostic tests:
Dec. 16, 2014
- Transillumination. Your doctor might shine a light through your scrotum. With a spermatocele, the light will indicate that the mass is fluid-filled rather than solid.
- Ultrasound. If transillumination doesn't clearly indicate a cyst, an ultrasound can help determine what else it might be. This test, which uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures, might be used to rule out a testicular tumor or other cause of scrotal swelling.
- Eyre RC. Evaluation of nonacute scrotal pathology in adult men. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Zhou M. Uropathology: High-Yield Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Spermatoceles (spermatic cyst). American Urological Association Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=117. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Crawford P, et al. Evaluation of scrotal masses. American Family Physician. 2014;89:723.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Painless scrotal mass. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/symptoms_of_genitourinary_disorders/painless_scrotal_mass.html. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Lund L, et al. The long-term efficacy of hydrocele treatment with aspiration and sclerotherapy with polidocanol compared to placebo: A prospective, double-blind, randomized study. The Journal of Urology. 2014;191:1347.
- Do I have testicular cancer? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/testicularcancer/moreinformation/doihavetesticularcancer/do-i-have-testicular-cancer-self-exam. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Nov. 27, 2014.