A spermatocele is unlikely to cause complications.
However, if your spermatocele is painful or has grown so large that it's causing you discomfort, you might need to have surgery to remove the spermatocele. Surgical removal might damage the epididymis or the vas deferens, a tube that transports sperm from the epididymis to the penis. Damage to either can reduce fertility. Another possible complication that can occur after surgery is that the spermatocele might come back, though this is uncommon.
Dec. 16, 2014
- Eyre RC. Evaluation of nonacute scrotal pathology in adult men. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Zhou M. Uropathology: High-Yield Pathology. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Spermatoceles (spermatic cyst). American Urological Association Foundation. http://www.urologyhealth.org/urology/index.cfm?article=117. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Crawford P, et al. Evaluation of scrotal masses. American Family Physician. 2014;89:723.
- Wein AJ, et al. Campbell-Walsh Urology. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Painless scrotal mass. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/genitourinary_disorders/symptoms_of_genitourinary_disorders/painless_scrotal_mass.html. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Lund L, et al. The long-term efficacy of hydrocele treatment with aspiration and sclerotherapy with polidocanol compared to placebo: A prospective, double-blind, randomized study. The Journal of Urology. 2014;191:1347.
- Do I have testicular cancer? American Cancer Society. http://www.cancer.org/cancer/testicularcancer/moreinformation/doihavetesticularcancer/do-i-have-testicular-cancer-self-exam. Accessed Nov. 24, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn., Nov. 27, 2014.