- Teamwork. At Mayo Clinic, radiologists, pathologists, medical oncologists, orthopedic surgeons who specialize in bone and soft tissue tumors (orthopedic oncologists), radiation oncologists, general surgeons, and plastic surgeons work as a multidisciplinary team to care for people with soft tissue sarcoma. Other professionals, such as rehabilitation specialists, are included as needed.
- Expertise. Soft tissue sarcoma is rare, and it can be difficult to diagnose and treat. Mayo Clinic doctors care for about 2,000 people with soft tissue sarcoma each year, including very rare types.
- A full range of treatment options to consider. Mayo Clinic doctors will work with you to review all of your treatment options and choose the treatment that best suits your needs and goals. The range of treatments offered to people with soft tissue sarcoma includes several types of surgery — including minimally invasive surgery and limb-sparing surgery — and the latest radiation therapy techniques — including intensity-modulated radiation therapy, brachytherapy and intraoperative radiation therapy. Chemotherapy and biological therapy also are available.
- Comprehensive cancer center. Mayo Clinic Cancer Center meets strict standards for a National Cancer Institute comprehensive cancer center, which recognizes scientific excellence and a multidisciplinary approach to cancer prevention, diagnosis and treatment.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla, is ranked high performing for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for cancer.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Jan. 24, 2015
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 19, 2013.
- Soft tissue sarcoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed July 24, 2013.
- Adult soft tissue sarcoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/adult-soft-tissue-sarcoma/patient. Accessed July 19, 2013.
- Childhood soft tissue sarcoma treatment (PDQ). National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/child-soft-tissue-sarcoma/Patient. Accessed July 19, 2013.
- Taking time: Support for people with cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/takingtime. Accessed July 24, 2013.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 16, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.